Maranta: home care, transplantation and reproduction, species
Maranta plant (Maranta) is part of the Maranta family, this genus unites about 25 species. It was named after the physician from Venice Bartalomeo Maranta. In nature, the plant can be found in Central and South America, and it prefers to grow in forests in marshy areas. Most often, the arrowroot is cultivated as a decorative foliage plant, the shape of its foliage can vary from oval-round to linear-lanceolate, as a rule it is painted in green, and on its surface there is a pattern that can have a different color and shape. When grown indoors, the plant practically does not bloom, and if it blooms, then small white flowers appear on it. The arrowroot tricolor, also called a prayer plant, was named so because of the foliage, the fact is that under bad conditions it rises, and under good conditions it is placed horizontally. In some species of arrowroot, the roots are used to prepare flour, it is used in dietary nutrition. It is believed that this flower is able to protect the home from negative energy, reduce excessive excitement and prevent disputes, quarrels and scandals between households.
Short description of growing
- Bloom. Arrowroot is grown as a decorative foliage plant.
- Illumination. Needs a lot of light, which must be diffused. It is possible to grow a flower under artificial light, but in this case the daylight hours should be 16 hours.
- Temperature mode. In the summer period - from 23 to 25 degrees, and the temperature of the soil mixture in the pot should be at least 18 degrees. From the second half of autumn to the last spring weeks - from 18 to 20 degrees.
- Watering. In the spring-summer period, watering should be plentifully, immediately after the top layer of the soil mixture dries. In the cold season, watering should be moderate.
- Air humidity. Must be elevated. Throughout the year, the bush is moistened from the spray bottle with lukewarm water. To increase humidity, moist expanded clay is poured into the pallet, and a flower pot is placed on it.
- Fertilizer. Fertilizing is carried out throughout the year 1 time in 15 days, for this, one at a time use organic and mineral fertilizers in half dosage.
- Rest period. Not pronounced.
- Transfer. The procedure is carried out every 2 years in the first spring weeks.
- Soil mix. It should consist of garden soil, sand and peat (6: 2: 3).
- Breeding. Division of the bush and cuttings.
- Harmful insects. Spider mites.
- Diseases. The plant may lose its decorative effect in unsuitable conditions for it or due to improper care.
The arrowroot is three-colored. Landing and care.
Watch this video on YouTube
Care for the arrowroot at home
Maranta needs a bright, but diffused light, it must be protected from direct sunlight. Therefore, it is recommended to place it on a window of eastern or western orientation. If the direct rays of the sun regularly fall on the flower, then adult leaf plates can lose their spectacular color, and young ones become smaller. If you cannot find a place with optimal lighting for a flower, then it is recommended to grow it under fluorescent lamps, while the duration of daylight in this case should be at least 16 hours.
Such a flower can be damaged by both excessively high and low air temperatures. In summer, make sure that the air temperature is from 23 to 25 degrees, while not allowing the substrate to overcool in the pot (at least 18 degrees). From the middle of the autumn period until the beginning of summer, the optimum air temperature for arrowroot is 18–20 degrees. It can withstand a temperature drop of up to 10 degrees, if it is colder, the plant will die.Protect it from sudden changes in temperature during the day, as well as from drafts.
During the spring-summer period, watering should be plentiful, while making sure that the water does not stagnate in the substrate, but also coma should not be allowed to dry out. In the cold season, watering is moderate, it is carried out immediately after the surface of the soil mixture in the pot dries. For irrigation, you need to use warm water, the temperature of which should be slightly higher than room temperature, because the root system reacts extremely negatively to hypothermia. Also, it should be soft and well settled (at least 12 hours).
The flower needs high air humidity, in connection with this, it is moistened throughout the year with settled soft water from the sprayer. If the level of humidity is very low, then spraying should be carried out regularly in the morning and evening. And to increase humidity, a container with a flower is installed on a pallet, which is filled with wet expanded clay or pebbles, while making sure that the bottom of the pot does not come into contact with the liquid. In the warm season, the plant can have a warm shower, while remembering that the substrate in the pot must be covered with a film so that water does not get into it during the procedure. However, be prepared for the fact that even when all these conditions are fulfilled, the tops of the leaf plates will dry on the arrowroot.
Fertilizing is carried out systematically once every 2 weeks, for this purpose organic and mineral fertilizers are used alternately (the concentration of the nutrient mixture should be 2-3 times less than recommended by the manufacturer).
Transplantation is carried out 1 time in 2 years in the first spring weeks. The capacity for landing is taken lower and better if it is plastic, while in size it should be slightly larger than the old one. At the bottom, a drainage layer is made of coarse sand and broken brick (expanded clay). The substrate is slightly acidic. It may include peat, sand and garden soil (3: 2: 6) or peat, humus and leaf soil (1: 1: 1). It is recommended to pour a small amount of charcoal and coniferous soil into the prepared soil mixture.
Before embarking on a transplant, all dried and sluggish foliage should be cut from the bush, in this case young shoots will develop more actively.
transplant of arrowroot tricolor
Watch this video on YouTube
The arrowroot can be propagated by dividing the rhizome. This procedure is recommended to be carried out in conjunction with a transplant. To get started, remove the adult plant from the pot and divide it into 2 or 3 parts, while trying not to injure the root system. Delenki planted in separate pots filled with peat. Young bushes are watered regularly immediately after the surface of the soil mixture in the tank dries. The container with the dividend is placed in a plastic bag, which is not very tightly tied. Keep it warm until young leaf plates appear.
The harvesting of cuttings is carried out in May – June; for this, part of the young shoot is cut, on which there should be 2 or 3 leaf plates. To root the segments using a jar filled with clean water, the roots should appear after 4-6 weeks. The rooted cuttings are planted in a peat-based earth mix and provide him with the best possible care.
Watch this video on YouTube
If the arrowroot is improperly taken care of or if it is not provided with suitable conditions, then problems can begin with it:
- The tips of the leaves dry. If the air in the room is too dry, then the tops of the foliage turn brown and dry out, they sometimes even fall off. Also, due to low humidity, the growth of the bush may become slower.
- Rot appeared. If in winter the plant is watered excessively or it will be in the cold, then its shoots may lose turgor, and rot may also form on them.
- Stains on foliage. If the flower feels a lack of moisture, then spots form on its leaf plates, they begin to curl, and yellowing of the lower foliage is also observed.
- The bush is getting faded. The plant reacts extremely negatively to direct sunlight, because of this the leaves lose their spectacular color and dry out.
- Harmful insects. The most dangerous for him are spider mites.
Types of arrowroot with photo and names
White-ribbed Maranta (Maranta leuconeura)
Under natural conditions, the plant can be found in the tropics, or rather, in the moist forests of Brazil. It has a tuberous root, and the length of the stem can reach about 0.3 m. Petioles in foliage in length reach no more than 20 mm. The width of the sheet plate is about 9 centimeters, and the length is up to 15 centimeters, they have a round-elliptical shape, while at the base it is heart-shaped. The front surface of them is dark green, it is decorated with a pale green pattern and white veins, the reverse surface is greenish-blue or pale red. The following varieties of this species are most popular with flower growers: Kerkhoven (kerchoveana), Masange (massangeana), tricolor (tricolor) or red-stalked (leuconeura):
Maranta Kerchoveana (Maranta kerchoveana)
The height of such a herbaceous perennial plant is about 25 centimeters. Short-oval oval leaf plates have a length of about 15 centimeters. On the upper saturated green surface of the plate there are many dark green spots, and a white stripe runs along the midrib. The back surface of the plate has a color that can go from light blue to pale red. White flowers are collected in 2-3 pieces in inflorescences.
The plant is very similar to the Kerchoven variety (see above), but its leaves are decorated with brownish-olive spots.
Maranta tricolor (tricolor) (Maranta tricolor)
The length of the oval pubescent leaf plates is about 13 centimeters, and the width is up to 6 centimeters. The color of the front surface of the plates can vary from dark green to a greenish tint, it is decorated with red veins and pale green spots along the median vein, and dark green feather-shaped spots are located along the side veins. Wrong surface of raspberry with streaks of pink color. The flowers are painted in a pale lilac color.
Maranta two-tone (Maranta bicolor)
This species does not form tubers. Oval short-leaf leaf plates have a slightly wavy edge, their length is about 15 centimeters. Brown spots are located on the front surface of the green plate along the median vein, and on the wrong side there are hairs, and it is painted in a pale red color.
Reed Maranta (Maranta arundinacea)
This species is represented by a bush, the height of which slightly exceeds 100 cm. Its roots are thick and tuberous. The length of the egg-shaped leaf plates is about 25 centimeters; they have a slight sharpening in the upper part. The underside is covered with hairs and has a dark green color. The flowers are white.
Maranta is an unpretentious home flower. My experience.
Watch this video on YouTube