Zamioculcas (Dollar Tree): home care, transplant
The plant Zamioculcas, which is also called the dollar tree, is a member of the Aroid family, in nature it can be found in the tropical latitudes of Africa. According to information taken from various sources, this genus unites from 1 to 4 species. The plant was called Zamioculcus, because its foliage is very similar to the leaves of Zamia, growing on the American continent.
Features of Zamioculcus
Zamioculcas is a low herbaceous plant. Its rhizome is tuberous, and the roots are thick and fleshy. A thick and juicy rachis is very necessary for a flower, since it stores water in it. Feathery leathery feathers are quite dense. The length of the leaf plate can reach about 100 cm. During a long dry period, the plant throws off the leaves from the top of the leaf plate, due to this there is a decrease in moisture evaporation, and from below the petiole is needed to preserve the bush liquid. Another accumulation of moisture occurs in the underground tuber. A well-grown bush can begin to bloom when grown at home. A short thick peduncle appears from the base of the leaves, it carries an ear-inflorescence of a pale cream color.
Short description of growing
- Bloom. Zamioculcas is grown as a decorative foliage plant.
- Illumination. A large amount of bright sunlight is needed.
- Temperature mode. In the spring-summer period - from 22 to 25 degrees, and in winter - about 16 degrees.
- Watering. In spring and summer, the plant is watered immediately after the top layer of the substrate in the pot dries. In late autumn and until spring, watering is reduced. If the flower is placed in a cool place for the winter, then it should be watered only after the earthen lump in the pot is completely dry.
- Air humidity. It grows well with such a level of humidity that is typical for residential premises. However, on hot days, its foliage should be regularly moistened with lukewarm water from the sprayer.
- Fertilizers. From the second half of the spring period to the end of summer, the bush is fed 1 time in 15 days, for this they use fertilizers for succulents and cacti. The rest of the time the plant does not need additional nutrition.
- Rest period. From the last autumn weeks until the beginning of spring.
- Transfer. It is carried out only when it is necessary, as a rule, once every 2-4 years. This procedure is carried out in spring or summer.
- Soil mix. A suitable substrate should consist of sand, garden, garden and forest soil (5: 2: 2: 2). A small amount of charcoal is added to the finished soil mixture.
- Breeding. Leafy cuttings and division of the rhizome.
- Harmful insects. Scutes and aphids.
- Diseases. With improper care, dark spots may appear on the foliage or it completely flies around, the shoots can stretch out very much, or rot forms on the roots and stems.
How to grow Zamioculcas - Everything will be kind - Issue 252 - 09/12/2013 - Everything will be fine
Watch this video on YouTube
Caring for a dollar tree at home
Zamiokulkas well tolerates direct rays of the sun, in this regard, it can be put on the window of the southern orientation. However, in the summer, with a lack of fresh air in the afternoon, the plant is recommended to shade. It also grows normally and develops on the bright window sills of western or eastern orientation. A flower you’ve recently purchased at a store is taught to the direct rays of the sun gradually, otherwise burns may form on the surface of the foliage. The same thing is done after prolonged cloudy weather.
In spring, summer and autumn, the plant needs heat (from 22 to 25 degrees). In winter, it is rearranged in a cooler place (about 16 degrees).The room in which the flower is located must be systematically ventilated.
From spring to the end of autumn, watering a dollar tree is carried out only after the soil in the pot is half dry. At other times, watering should be more scarce and rarer. The same regime of watering the flower is necessary in case of prolonged cloudy weather. If the room is cooler than necessary, then the substrate is moistened only after it is completely dry. During prolonged droughts, the top of the leaf blades dries.
Water the flower with soft and well-settled water (at least 24 hours). Make sure that throughout the year the liquid does not stagnate in the root system of the plant.
A dollar tree, grown in room conditions, grows well with low humidity, which is typical for living rooms. In this regard, it is not necessary to moisten the foliage. However, on hot summer days, it is recommended to wipe the leaves regularly with a moistened sponge or spray them with warm water from a spray bottle.
Indoor flowering can only be a well-developed plant. An inflorescence-cob appears on a short peduncle, which is covered from above with an apical pale green leaf.
Fertilizing is carried out from the second half of spring to autumn, the flower is fed 1 time in 2 weeks, for this they use fertilizer for cacti or succulents. The rest of the feeding is not carried out only if the weather is cloudy.
In the grown bush, large sheet plates need to be propped up, for this a special support with rings is used. If this is not done, then the leaves begin to fall over.
A transplant is recommended only if necessary in spring or summer. As a rule, it is done once every 2-4 years. With rare transplants, bush growth can be slowed down. For transplantation, it is recommended to use a high clay pot. If the capacity is taken too wide, then the first time will be the development of the root system, and at the same time, the growth of the aboveground part will greatly slow down. And in a too large pot there is a chance of stagnation of the liquid in the soil mixture. For transplantation, a substrate of the following composition is used: sand, garden, garden and forest soil (5: 2: 2: 2). You can also pour a small amount of charcoal into the prepared soil mixture. Do not forget to make a good drainage layer at the bottom of the pot, which should occupy at least ¼ of the container.
ZAMIOCULCAS CARE AND TRANSFER 🌿 What to do after purchase 🌿 Dollar tree
Watch this video on YouTube
This plant can be propagated by dividing and rooting leaves and leaf plates. For rooting, a mini-greenhouse is used, which is filled with a mixture of peat and sand, while the air temperature should be above 20 degrees.
Naked leaves may form nodules around the leaves. They can be used for reproduction, over time, they will develop roots and buds. If development will occur normally, then the first stem can form after six months.
Zamioculcas leaf reproduction
Watch this video on YouTube
Diseases and pests
With improper care, Zamioculcas can cause problems. For instance:
- Leaf plates die off. If the foliage has mechanical damage, then this can lead to their death.
- The plant is pulled. This is due to overly poor lighting.
- Foliage. If the lower leaf plates die off and fly around, then this is a completely natural process.
- Specks on the leaves. Dark colored spots form on the foliage, this can occur due to drafts, excessive watering and cold air.
- Rot appeared on the bush. Rot may appear on the roots and shoots if the room is too cold, and stagnation of water is regularly observed in the substrate.
- Harmful insects. This plant is highly resistant to pests, however, scale insects or aphids can settle on it.
Types of zamioculcas with photos and names
Zamioculcas zamielistny (Zamioculcas zamiifolia)
Or Zamioculcas loddigesii (Zamioculcas loddigesii) - this species in nature can be found in East Africa. Rhizome is a tuber, from which leaf plates grow, reaching a length of about 0.6 m. Leaf plates are divided into leaflets-feathers, which number from 4 to 6 pairs. During prolonged droughts, the plant can drop leaves from the top of the leaf plate, thereby reducing moisture evaporation.
Variegate or variegated zamioculcas is very difficult to find in flower shops. His homeland is the island of Madagascar. At home, it can reach a height of 1 to 1.5 meters. Leaves are arranged symmetrically in strict order. They have a bright green color, juicy flesh, pointed at the tips. Flowers rarely appear in the plant, with very good care. The inflorescence is formed in the form of an ears.
Zamioculcas lanceolate (Zamioculcas Lanceolata)
Got this name because of the elongated leaves of the original lanceolate shape. The flower was first exhibited at flower auctions in Holland in the late 20th century. Its height reached 1.5 meters and above. In 2007, a miniature plant was bred, not exceeding 60 centimeters in height. Its leaves are an exact copy of the ancestor, only in a reduced size.
Black Zamioculcas (Zamioculcas Blak)
The plant has leaves and cuttings of almost black color. Otherwise, it is completely similar to zamiokulkas zamifolia. The same fleshy, pointed at the tips of the leaves, fixed symmetrically on both sides on a common handle. The young bush has lettuce leaves. As they grow older they begin to darken. At the same time, their color is completely not affected by the lighting in the room. No matter how the florist tries to lighten the leaves, he will not succeed. Such a “tree” looks very impressive. Therefore, it will perfectly decorate any room.
Popular types of dollar tree. Varieties of Zamioculcas.
Watch this video on YouTube